Sunday 9 March 2014

Future imperfect


I took a trip to a nearby pub that was featured last week on a TV programme, in the hope that I might be able to start a new photography project.

The programme told the story of the Spa Inn at Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, which its brewery owners wanted to shut and sell off to housing developers. Pub regulars wanted it saved... but then were filmed leaving a council meeting and heading for a completely different pub for an evening drink. I think that just about summed everything up.

I trawled the internet to find out if the Spa had closed down in the four months since the programme was filmed, but none of the three local papers had followed up their reports on the planning battle.

So I had to find out for myself. Alas, when I arrived, I discovered it was well and truly closed. But I enjoyed a little gallows humour when I spotted a blackboard outside advertising a clairvoyance evening in months gone by. I wonder if the pub's fate was seen in the crystal ball?

No comments:

Post a Comment