Wednesday 12 March 2014

Festival action


I went to a race meeting for the first time in my life today. Not any old race meeting, mind, but the Cheltenham National Hunt Festival.

I've lived in Gloucestershire since 1990 and it has become something of an embarrassment when I've had to own up to never having seen its number one sporting event. I put that right today.

And what did I make of it? Well, people wax lyrical about it, but I thought it was a bit of a curate's egg - good in parts. Yes, there was a good atmosphere and the event attracted all sorts of characters. It was also wonderful to get close to the racehorses themselves - slightly smaller than I imagined, but such lean, super-fit creatures. But there's lots of booze, lots of money being frittered away, lots of pushing and shoving, extremely expensive food... and I didn't actually find it hugely exciting, even though I had wagered money on all the races.

I went there also hoping to get some good shots with my camera. I saw a number of press photographers, bedecked in cameras with massive lenses. It's only when you start taking your own shots that you realise why they need such heavy-duty equipment.


I was fairly close to the fence in the picture, but still struggled to get a good image. I was using an 18-200 lens, but really needed at least 300mm. Nevertheless, I enjoyed getting the timing right and was pleased to get a decent exposure. I worked out the settings in advance, along with the focus, so that I could press the shutter button without having to worry about settings.

I took shots of bookies, pretty girls, the crowds... and lots of other things. Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable day, but I'd rather have the thrill of a football cup final.




No comments:

Post a Comment