Sunday 2 February 2014

Portrait tip

I came across this useful video giving advice on which lenses to use for portrait photography.

I know it sounds pretty pathetic, but I've never been too sure about which focal length is best for portraiture, save from knowing that wide angle lenses are best avoided because of the way they stretch the face and distort features like the nose.

The video, by Photoventure,com, says a longer lens is better because of the way it flattens the image for a more flattering look. I have seen elsewhere that lenses from 85mm through to 135mm are preferable - very long lenses might produce too extreme a look.

I was also interested to hear that digital cameras with the smaller sensors (ie. not full-frame) are at an advantage over full-frame sensors because they don't introduce the same amount of wide-angle distortion simply because they are cropping out part of the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment