Saturday 22 February 2014

Busy!

Broadway Tower, Worcestershire

To borrow a well-worn phrase, I have projects coming out of my ears at the moment. But I also have some time on my hands, so I have been trying to take full advantage.

Yesterday, I went to Birmingham to introduce myself to a religious community I intend to feature in a project, and to take one or two preliminary shots. I will be returning for a more intensive photoshoot in the near future.

On my way back from Birmingham, I visited Broadway Tower, in Worcestershire, to capture a photo for another project. The result is at the top of this entry.

The busy day inspired me to get out with my camera again today, but I had mixed results. I wanted to get a strong picture of Glastonbury Tor, in Somerset - hopefully with flood waters in the foreground. I have seen this kind of shot in the past and it can look very atmospheric.


Unfortunately, the whole exercise was a disappointment. There were, surprisingly, no flood waters in the immediate area. Instead there were lots and lots of green fields, which actually made my final image look very flat. I also went at the worst time of the day, so the lighting was also very flat.

Rather than stick around and try to salvage something from the situation, I hopped into my car and headed for Burnham-on-Sea, where there is a very photogenic old lighthouse on the beach.

I got one or two decent shots, including the one below. Unfortunately, I have a horrible feeling I now have sand on my sensor. Ouch!

I did say earlier in this blog that I wanted to concentrate more on black and white photography and these were two photos that I originally intended giving monochrome treatment. However, I find it difficult to relinquish the benefits colour can give an image - the blue in both of the shots featured here adds drama and interest, in my opinion.

It's such a difficult subject for me, I'd be very interested to know how other people make this decision. Please do give me your views.

Lighthouse, Burnham-on-Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment