Sunday 17 November 2013

Back on track


My apologies to anyone interested in these posts for the long gap since the last entry. Sadly, my father passed away two weeks ago today, which meant my photography, my studies and pretty much everything else came to a shuddering halt.

But I was back behind the camera on Friday for the latest in a series of shoots at the railway museum and I focused on the engine Caerphilly Castle, which can be inspected from a pit running directly underneath it.

It allowed me to have some fun with flashes. I positioned them at the far end of the pit and asked two models to stand midway between them and the camera. I exposed for the ambient light and let the shutter stay open for about half a second.

I was pleased with the result, which captures some of the atmosphere of the place. I particularly liked the starburst effect of the flash.

What the picture doesn't show are the groups of schoolchildren and other visitors to the museum I had to dodge all morning before getting the shot I wanted. These visitors understandably take priority over photographic projects, but luck was not on my side when it came to the timing of their respective tours around the museum. I think they call it suffering for your art!


No comments:

Post a Comment