Monday 2 June 2014

Spanish treat

I was delighted to discover in the past couple of days that the PhotoEspana international festival of photography will still be taking place when I am in Madrid later this month.

Described as one of the most important arts events in the world, it features scores of exhibitions, along with talks and workshops.

As ever, when my time is limited, I like to visit something old and something new. So I have earmarked a show called P2P: Contemporary Practice in Spanish Photography for my investigation of new work, while the first-ever retrospective of the late Spanish avant-garde photographer Antoni Arissa will offer me something from the past.

The P2P exhibition, at Teatro Fernan Gomez, Plaza de Colon, 4, includes work by Cristina de Middel, whom I encountered during my studies for a photography HND. She is a leading participant in the field of 'fictive' photography, which is a form of documentary photography that involves re-creating scenes for the camera. She hit the headlines with a photobook called The Afronauts, depicting the ill-fated Zambian space programme, for which she was shortlisted for the 2013 Deutsche Borse Photography Prize.



From The Afronauts by Cristina de Middel
I am particularly interested in documentary photography, but still hold some reservations about this fictive strand. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what Spanish-born de Middel has produced for PhotoEspana.

Arissa, meanwhile, became famous for his bold approach to composition, form and line and for his use of light.

The exhibition of his work is at Espacio Fundacion Telefonica, at Fuencarral, 3, and includes rare surviving prints that he made himself.

I have a long list of exhibitions I would like to see, although the chances of getting round to all of them is pretty remote. Nevertheless, I would be disappointed if I didn't see the exhibition of the work of Chema Conesa at Alcala, 31. For obvious reasons, I am fascinated by the work of journalists who became photographers and Conesa was both a photographer and copy editor at El Pais newspaper.

If I was looking forward to my Spanish trip before, I'm rubbing my hands with glee now! I'll make sure to report back on my experiences on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment