Thursday 19 June 2014

New project


I have been asked to take photographs of a local venue and today was the first shoot. I think it went pretty well.

I am not under any time pressure to get the pictures done. It is rather like the steam railway museum project, featured elsewhere on this blog, in the sense that I can keep visiting the venue to focus on different aspects, compiling photos as I go.

I took on board some of the advice given out by Mike Browne on his tuition videos, mentioned in the previous post. I used only natural light and a narrow aperture for a deep depth of field, which meant quite slow shutter speeds. This was fine, though, because I want to feature motion blur for pictures that do include people.

I also took advantage of the live view feature of my camera and found this extremely useful - particularly for addressing converging verticals. I could alter the angle of the camera with one of my tripod adjustment handles and see on the screen how it affected the distortion introduced by my wide angle lens.


Live view came into its own when I was taking the photo above. I was in a cramped corridor with so little room to manoeuvre that once I had set up my camera I couldn't get my head anywhere near the viewfinder. However, live view allowed me to stand at the side of the camera and work from the screen view.

I even managed to remember Mike Browne's advice to clear a cluttered scene before taking the picture, so I changed the position of chairs and removed posters, for example.

As a reminder, Mike's YouTube channel is here. And no, he's not rewarding me for these links!




No comments:

Post a Comment