Sunday 18 May 2014

I'm back


Well, I have broken the golden rule of blogging by failing to post an entry for weeks. I will send myself to the naughty step in due course.

In the meantime, here is what I've been up to. My HND course is coming to an end, and the final flourish is an exhibition in Swindon featuring all the courses from the college School of Art.

I have been preparing for this for much of this year - planning my project and taking the photos, of course, but also writing up the background notes, designing and printing business cards, designing a portfolio book and sending out invitations etc.

The past week has involved mounting the exhibition - work that has the potential to be disastrous (requiring, as it does, precise measurements and some DIY skills), but which actually went remarkably smoothly. Some of the results can be seen in the picture above. Please ignore the rubbish-strewn floor!

It's hugely satisfying to see your work on a gallery wall after so much effort, but there is also a feeling of trepidation. You are, in effect, opening yourself up to the viewing public. Your work - and consequently all aspects of your ability - are there to be judged and a lot rides on the verdict. If people enthuse about your images it is a huge boost for your confidence; the opposite can have you questioning whether you have what it takes.

I constantly question the quality of my work. I'm never 100 per cent happy with it and I am always trying to improve my technique for the next time. But I guess that's a good thing. I am supposed to be learning, after all.

But I do long for the time when I can can mount a series of photographs at an exhibition and be completely happy - punching-the-air, shouting-from-the-rooftops happy. Maybe one day.

The exhibition is at Isambard House, Swindon (next to the Outlet Centre), from Thursday May 22 to Wednesday May 28 (but not bank holiday Monday). Times: Thursday, Friday, Tuesday 10-6; Saturday, Sunday 10-4; Wednesday 10-noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment