Tuesday 7 January 2014

Plan of action

It's that time again - the start of a new photography project. In this instance, I have my eyes firmly on my course and, in particular, work suitable for the end-of-year show.

I have been mulling over a number of ideas and have one particular theme in mind. But I'm keeping that under wraps just for the moment while I explore its feasibility.

I have learned over the past couple of years that this is a hugely important stage. I have thrown myself into projects in the past only to discover that - for various reasons - they have limited mileage.

I have come up with a method to give myself a better chance of success, and I have already put this into action with my new project.


I first of all carry out extensive research around my theme and draw up a long list of potential subjects - more than I actually need (it's always useful to have some in reserve). I then consider these in detail, thinking photographically while I am doing so. In other words, I imagine possible shots from information I have found.

I also try to find existing photos on sites like Flickr and I have already discovered that some subjects on my list for this latest project have huge picture potential.

I then make contact with two or three of the subjects closest to where I live and try to spend a few hours just meeting them - maybe even without a camera. I have come to realise that this is a hugely important part of the process. It puts my subjects at ease, puts me at ease, and allows me to plan a series of shots. I go away, think over those plans, and return on another day knowing exactly what I have got to do.

So that's where I am right now. I have a long, long list of subjects, and the variety really excites me. I am now firing off emails to make a start. Once I've visited two or three people, I will know whether the project is a winner or a loser.

If it does work out, I could be doing a fair amount of travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment